Ministry of Railways is observing ‘Swachhta-Hi-Seva Pakhwada’ across its entire network from 11th September to 2nd October. Hon’ble Prime Minister of India at an event on Swachhta Hi Seva (SHS) offered Shramdaan at Mathura today leading and giving a message to the nation on removal of plastic waste.
Indian Railways also undertook massive Shramdaan with participation from all stakeholders on plastic waste collection on the first day of SHS today. Focus on plastic waste collection shall continue throughout the Swachhta Pakhwada.
Detailed guidelines for the ‘Pakhwada’ have been formulated and circulated to each unit of Indian Railways and the entire network is gearing up to observe the ‘Pakhwada’ in the most effective manner. Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry has instructed the Railway Administration to make this Pakhwada a grand success and to give special focus on cleanliness at Railway Stations and in trains throughout the ‘Pakhwada’. He has also directed that officers and staff of all departments to be involved in various activities during ‘Swachhta-Hi-Seva Pakhwada’. Earlier the Minister of Railways has instructed for 10 days cleanliness drive for trains and stations starting 2nd September, 2019. He directed Zonal Railways to upload selected photographs on E-Drishti, Minister’s dashboard for monitoring purposes. The Minister had been appreciating those Zones which have been doing well upon such monitoring.
Secretary, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Shri Parameswaran Iyer met Chairman, Railway Board Shri V.K.Yadav, on this Monday and discussed ways that the Railways could work for plastic waste collection, as properties of Indian Railways has the largest interface with the people across the country.
Following actions are to be initiated across Indian Railways network on plastic waste management:
· Wide publicity will be given to ban on single use plastic.
· Banners/posters/messages to this effect to be displayed at prominent places.
· Extensive use of Information Education and Communication measures would be made to create awareness among stakeholders. Audio messages/Banners shall also be displayed.
· Zonal Railways to take action on implementation of Board’s instructions and give feedback about the measures adopted.
· Plastic bottle crushers to be installed at all A1 and A category stations before 2nd October, 2019
· Visibility of separate waste bins to be increased on all A1 and A category Railway Stations. These would bear SHS logo.
· Work on development of 150 nurseries on Railway properties across the country to be completed by 2nd October, 2019
· IRCTC to implement return of plastic drinking bottles as part of Extended Producer Responsibility
· Plastic Bottle crushing machines to be provided expeditiously at all other Railway Stations.
· A pledge will be administered on 2nd October to cut use of plastic.
Whether it is breaking news or a view, your contribution can make a huge difference. Are there topics you want to get people talking about? ... Email us at email@example.com